Visitor weblog by Katarzyna Bodzioch-Marczewska, Options Architect at Brainly
Knowledge governance is a essential facet of any group, and it turns into much more necessary in a distributed mannequin (examine The Brainly Mannequin right here), the place groups are unbiased and have their very own information. In such a situation, the discoverability of information turns into a big problem, as groups want a strategy to share details about the info with different groups. With our groups rising quickly and in a distant setting, when every staff has and owns their information silos, it may be tough for different groups to seek out and entry the info they want.
To handle this problem, Brainly determined to implement an information catalog.
The necessities we gathered included the next:
- Metadata of all of our information belongings in a single place (S3, Tableau, Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery)
- Making our information belongings discoverable (easy and broad search capabilities — to have the ability to discover related information rapidly throughout all of our belongings, together with their context)
- Allow collaboration and belief (collect tribal information of varied groups in a single place)
- Cut back dependencies between enterprise, analysts, and engineers (giving everybody quick access to documentation and the flexibility to seek out data-related solutions on their very own)
- Capability to point out the place the info comes from (visible lineage of dependencies between the info objects and the way the info flows all through the group)
After evaluating varied distributors and going via a number of Proofs of Idea, we selected Atlan as our information catalog. The primary causes behind that selection embody:
- Desired functionalities had been working as we anticipated
- The device was very intuitive and easy to make use of
- All of our information tech could possibly be built-in
- Excellent help from the seller
- Cheap price
However as we all know, instruments themself aren’t fixing any issues… We built-in all of our belongings into Atlan… And that was the place the attention-grabbing half started…
As soon as we had the technical metadata in, we would have liked to give attention to the context. And to seek out and acquire it, we would have liked (and nonetheless want) a change within the firm tradition among the many Knowledge Folks — to understand the worth of the info asset’s documentation as a part of the info product itself.
With the intention to make that shift, we carried out a gamification plan to have interaction groups and create better consciousness of the significance of documenting information belongings. By this initiative, we had been in a position to recover from 200 tables documented and shared throughout groups. The gamification plan concerned organising a leaderboard, the place groups may earn factors for documenting their information belongings and sharing information in regards to the information. This created a pleasant competitors and helped to lift consciousness in regards to the significance of information governance. We obtained good prizes for the winners of the competitions, together with t-shirts that, by the way in which, turned legendary after just a few months.
However that was not sufficient. We discovered that the important thing to profitable information governance is evident possession. Wherever the possession of information was clear, groups had been extra engaged and keen to doc and share their information belongings. Nevertheless, in areas the place possession was unclear or blurry, the documentation remained poor. This highlights the significance of creating clear roles and obligations for information possession and entry inside a company.
As we’re on our strategy to undertake Knowledge Mesh (examine our journey right here), we plan to handle these points throughout our migration to Snowflake. Knowledge Mesh is a cultural and technical idea that goals to decentralize information administration and allow groups to personal and function their very own information companies. By adopting a extra distributed method to information possession and entry, we hope to enhance information discoverability and governance throughout Brainly.
In conclusion, implementing an information catalog and a gamification plan helped our firm enhance information discoverability and governance. Clear possession and clear roles and obligations for information administration are essential. As we’re migrating to Snowflake, we’ll proceed to enhance our information governance and make it possible for groups can simply entry and share information throughout the group.
Keep tuned for updates on our progress.
Due to Brainly for scripting this superb article! 💙
This text was initially printed by Katarzyna Bodzioch-Marczewska on the Brainly Expertise Weblog.